Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sweet, lazy, summer days.......  While Grant is working away during the day, Levi and I are busy filling our time with activities, exploring and some cartoon time (mom has gotta have a break now and then).  I've tried to do a good job of finding connections and things for us to do and it's taken me (and Levi) a little time to get adjusted to the way things are here in American Samoa.  There are a couple of pretty decent play structures, and a library, but other than that there aren't a lot of things set up for young kids to do during the day.  I anticipated this and packed lots of art supplies, activity books and legos. But what I'm noticing is that kids here are more adept to find their own entertainment.  For example, it's much more common here to see a kid, or group of kids, sometimes as young as Levi, barefoot and playing a game of peek-a-boo in the hanging laundry between the neighbors' houses.  Or kids playing with sticks, mud, empty plastic water bottles (or whatever they can find) in our alley or even the street.  And most the time these kids are without adult supervision.  While I have a hard time thinking I would let Levi play in the alley without a parent watching, I can't help but feel that there is something refreshing about seeing kids able to play outside and just be kids without fancy toys and play structures and without much worry.  One really nice thing about American Samoa is that the crime rate is very low.  Yes, there are robberies, things stolen and such.  But from what I've heard, violent crime or kidnapping is virtually unheard of.  So I can definitely understand parents here who know all the neighbors and are sure their kids know to watch out for cars, feeling a sense of security with letting their kids play outside without supervision.  
We are getting to know all the neighborhood kids.  Sometimes Levi and I will play t-ball outside and it usually doesn't take long to attract a good-sized group of kids with big, curious eyes.  They linger at the open gate for a couple of minutes, a little shy and then I motion for them to come and play and before you know it we have 15 youngsters lining up to hit the ball.  I think Levi was a little overwhelmed the first time this happened.  They all kind of huddled around him and wanted to watch him hit the ball (which, by the way, he is getting really good at!)  :)    It's funny when I step back and watch them with him.  They love to touch his hair, pat his head and hug him.  He is warming up too.  But still a little overwhelmed.   On other days we do sidewalk chalk or bubbles with the kids and there is never a shortage of interest in these toys. 
We've also been exploring the beaches.  This is a great way to spend the morning.  The water temperature is perfect and there are a couple of good, clean beaches with really nice shallow water.  Levi loves putting his feet in and waiting for the waves to come.  We look for shells, hermit crabs, and coral.  There are a lot of beautiful shells and coral to be found here.  I'm starting a little collection.  :)  Our neighbor doesn't have access to a car because her husband uses it for work, so sometimes we take her and her one-year old son with us to the beach.  It's nice to have company and someone for Levi to play with. 
Driving around here is pretty fun.  I actually love the chance to go for drives because it's so beautiful and I get to drive along a road that winds right along the coast almost everyday.  The speed limit is 25 miles per  hour everywhere on the island.  I don't know what I'm going to do when I get back in the states and have to drive on a freeway!! :)  I love driving 25 because I can look around a bit and enjoy the scenery.  Everyone gives the right of way here, even when they actually have the right of way.  It takes some getting used to, but it's actually kind of nice.  I'm getting good at stopping, even though I have right of way and no stop sign, and letting cars turn who are stuck at a stop sign.  It's funny though, if you let one go, you better be ready to let them all go.  At first I thought I had done my duty letting one go and I started to go again, but the second, third, fourth car all decided to pull out and turn in front of me.  They all smiled and waved.  Now I've seen this happen lots of time to other drivers, so I know to go ahead and stop and wait for awhile and just let everyone go.  There is a lot of smiling, waving and friendly flashing of lights that happens around here.  :)
Speaking of driving, I can't wait to try riding on the Aiga buses.  They are smallish-sized, colorful buses that sport tassles, feathers, and slogans that say things like "God is Awesome" and "Practice Patience",  "Take it Easy", etc (I'll post some pictures soon).  They play fun, upbeat music and I can sometimes hear the riders singing to the music when they pass by.  Seems like fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment